The Recruiting Process begins with the candidate submitting their resume, cover letter and application package. Each stage depends on successful performance in the preceding stages, but in certain circumstances the number and order of these steps may vary.
Assessment of honesty, integrity and ethics are an integral part of the selection process and the information you provide throughout the process will be scrutinized closely. Dishonesty, deceit, or non-disclosure of information can result in your removal from the process.
The Saanich Police are committed to being an equal opportunity employer as we look for confident applicants that reflect our diverse community that we serve.
Documents Required for New Recruits
- Cover Letter
- Completed Recruit Applicant Questionnaire
- Completed Polygraph Integrity Questionnaire
- Completed Authorization for Release of Information
- Completed Visual Assessment Form
- Completed Hearing Assessment Form
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Copy of Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Resident Documentation if applicable
- Copy of valid BC Class 5 Driver’s Licence or equivalent
- Copy of original Certified Transcripts from High School or Post-Secondary Institution
- Copy of a valid Standard First Aid Certificate with CPR Level C
- Official stamped copies of educational transcripts
The three-hour ETHOS exam is administered at the Saanich Police Department on specified dates. The intake exam includes: spelling, grammar, logic analysis, comprehension, memory, math, and reasoning. To successfully advance in the selection process, applicants must achieve 70% or greater on the intake exam.
If applicants have already achieved a passing mark on the ETHOS exam while competing for a position with another law enforcement agency, there is no need to complete the exam again.
Applicants can prepare for the ETHOS exam by searching and reviewing study guides that are available on the internet.
The physical testing consists of the POPAT (Police Officer Physical Ability Test) is a demanding, anaerobic physical test which must be completed in 4 minutes and 15 seconds. The POPAT results are valid for 12 months.
Applicants can choose at any time after receiving an Application Package to take this test and can submit a copy of their certificate using this form
This interview will assess your adaptability, ethical accountability and responsibility, interactive communication, organizational awareness, problem solving, risk management, stress tolerance, teamwork, and written skills.